Dr. Donald C. DeFabio, the owner of DeFabio Spine and Sports Rehab, has been operating his firm in the township since 1985. He received by outstanding doctor award from the Association of New Jersey Chiropractors (ANJC) at their fall symposium.
DeFabio earned the award, the association said, for exemplifying "a superior level of service to his profession, community and patients."
"To be recognized by my peers is a great honor, and frankly I was shocked," DeFabio said in a statement.
ANJC president Dr Joseph D’Angiolillo lauded DeFabio at the symposium "as a colleague who does it all."
DeFabio "serves on the ANJC Board, teaches continuing education, participates in several ANJC committees, volunteers in his community, hosts a public access TV show and runs a full time practice," D’Angiolillo said. "He's a real Renaissance man."
Among DeFabio's accomplishments are:
- Is dual board certified in Chiropractic Orthopedics and Sports Injury Management as well as a certified Corrective Exercise and Performance Enhancement Specialist;
- Holds additional certification in Manipulation under Anesthesia, Active release Technique, Graston Technique, and is a certified personal trainer through the National Academy of Sports Medicine;
- Has extensive sports physician experience treating athletes from all sports especially runners, track and field, fencing and tri-athletes and has served as a chiropractic doctor at the Ironman Triathlon World Championships in Kona for nine years and with the USA Fencing;
- Serves as the Chiropractic Physician for Drew University Athletics;
- Is medical coordinator for the United States Wheelchair Fencing Team as well as serving on the International Wheelchair Classification Committee.
At the community level, DeFabio supports Our House, a local charity that provides housing and jobs for educationally and developmentally disabled adults. He also is involved with the Summit Area YMCA and the Boy Scouts.DeFabio also produces and hosts a monthly public access TV show, "The Natural Way to Better Health and Wellness."