Monday, February 11, 2013
A Mountainside firefighter suffered a minor injury while battling a fire early Saturday morning.
In the early morning hours of Feb. 9 a fire broke out at 1458 Deer Path in Mountainside causing heavy smoke conditions, both homeowners made it out safely but a Mountainside firefighter suffered a minor injury, officials said. According to Mountainside Police Captain Richard Osieja, at 1:56 a.m. a 69-year-old resident informed the dispatcher that there was heavy smoke in his home and his 71-year-old disabled wife was in a rear bedroom. Mountainside Officer Michael Pasquale carried the woman out of the home while Sgt. Joseph Giannuzzi escorted out her husband, Osieja said. Once outside of the home both residents were checked and released by the Mountainside Rescue Squad and taken to relatives in Scotch Plains. While battling the fire, a …
Monday, February 4, 2013
Saturday night rescue assisted by neighboring fire departments.
Berkeley Heights Firefighters and public safety responders from surrounding towns rushed to the Passaic River on Saturday night to rescue a man and woman who had fallen through the ice. The couple was reportedly searching for turtles near the banks of the river. Berkeley Heights Fire Battalion Chief Jim Hopkins said that they were walking on ice near the shore when they fell into the frigid water. The woman who fell into the river was able to use her cell phone to call 911 at 8:18 p.m. When Berkeley Heights Fire and Police units arrived they were unable to initially find the two victims. Berkeley Heights Fire Dept. Rescue Company 1 found the couple west of Summit Ave at the former Berkeley Chemical Site on the Long Hill Township side of…
Friday, February 1, 2013
A fire caused extensive damage to a Corrine Terrace home this afternoon, officials said.
A fire tore through 1151 Corrine Terrace in Mountainside this afternoon, badly damaging the basement and other areas of the home. A resident who lives across from 1151 contacted police at noon on Friday to report the fire. When Police first arrived on scene they saw large amounts of smoke pouring out from the roof of the home, according to Mountainside Police Captain Richard Osieja. “The house has sustained extensive damage and it appears the fire started in the basement area,” Osieja said. In addition to the Mountainside Fire Department’s efforts to battle the fire, departments from Linden, Springfield, Summit, Westfield, Roselle, Plainfield and Berkeley Heights also responded to the call to provide assistance, according to Osieja. Once …
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Injuries were minor, state troopers say.
UPDATED: Emergency workers from Springfield, Summit and Berkeley Heights responded to a multi-auto accident on Interstate 78 last night. The accident occurred shortly after 8:30 p.m. at mile marker 38, on the border of Summit and Springfield. The cause of the accident, which reportedly involved a tractor-trailer and eight cars, has not yet been made publicly available. New Jersey State Police said that the injuries sustained in the accident were minor. Summit Fire Department Battalion Chief Richard Locke acted as I-78 command. Firefighters from Springfield provided basic life support care and helped load patients into a Berkeley Heights First Aid Squad ambulance. The fire crews applied absorbent for fluid spilled by some of the vehicles. …
Monday, April 16, 2012
Residents must be extremely cautious when using barbecue grills, outdoor power equipment, fire pits, candles, and torches this week. Cigarette smokers should dispose of their butts only in trash cans, portable ash trays or car ashtrays.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Editor's Note: The Following is a press release from the Union County Communications office. Union County, NJ – With another week of dry weather ahead, Union County Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella asked all County residents to be extremely cautious when using barbecue grills, outdoor power equipment, fire pits, candles, and torches. “We are an urban area that is not usually subject to forest fire warnings, but these are unusually dry conditions,” said Union County Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “Fires can easily start in our parks and wooded areas, and spread to nearby homes. We are asking everyone to be especially vigilant.” Last month a brush fire cropped up in Cranford, an unusual occurrence for Union County. Last week…
Monday, April 9, 2012
Fire officials confirm tree limb fell, pulling wires from electrical box and triggering blaze on Gallinson Drive.
Berkeley Heights firefighters battled a smoky electrical blaze at 231 Gallinson Drive around 9:40 a.m. today, caused by a tree limb that snapped due to heavy winds and fell onto power lines, which were knocked out of the home’s electrical box. Berkeley Heights Fire Chief Anthony Padovano said the homeowners were home when the electrical box in the home’s right wall caught fire and spread into the attic. Heavy winds played a factor in extinguishing the fire, which was placed under control around 10:30 a.m. “We couldn’t open any windows because the wind would have fueled the fire behind the walls and it definitely could have been worse,” Padovano said. Before firefighters could fully extinguish the fire, they had to wait for a Jersey Central…
Thursday, February 2, 2012
JCP&L had power back on by 10 p.m. for affected residences.
The New Providence Police and Fire Department responded to live wires down across Magnolia Drive at the Springfield Avenue intersection just before 8:30 p.m. Thursday. A fallen tree branch caused the downed wires. “When we responded out here, we found it on fire. Once we were out here, the two transformers blew,” causing power outages at multiple area residences, said Patrolman Andrew Diamond. The fire was extinguished quickly and Jersey Central Power & Light trucks were at the scene within 25 minutes to make the necessary repairs, Diamond said. The traffic light at the corner of Springfield Avenue and Central Avenue was knocked out as well, but was running on generator power. Police blocked off Magnolia Drive at Springfield Avenue and …